Sunday, February 3, 2008

Triming the Strips of wood

As I said before I was quite disappointed with how things went cutting out the strips of wood for the boat. So I just cut away from the line and planned on Planing or filing the boards to shape. If that did not work I would make MDF templates and cut them out with a router. It ended up that using the 3 tools shown in the pictures it was not too diffictult to get them all planed down to the correct shape. It took about 5 hours to cut out the last four sets of strips and plane them all.

The plane you see in the pictures with the blue on it is an interesting tool I bought at a woodworking show. If you are not good at sharpening it is the plan for you. It uses box cutter razor blades that are very cheap and rather than do any sharpening you just throw away the blade and move on.

If you are not currentl good at sharpening planes look up an article called "Scary Sharp" it explains how to sharpen a plane with wet sandpaper and it works very well I did this about a year ago and it was a tremendous help today when using the plane. I had read that the plane would dull very quickly on the plywood but I never had to sharpen mine all day.

I will buy some epoxy resin in the next few days to start attaching the panels together




The strips clamped into the face vice on my workbench






On the other end of the bench I clamped in a board to support the strips




I was able to put a clamp under the bench using the bench dog hole and clamp the strips to the side of the bench.
This was very helpful






Underside of bench






Plane that uses razor blades




Me Planing




I don't know what this is called but it works real well for this job





My hand plane






Making sure everything is square and stopping at the pencil line

No comments: