Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cutting the Forms

I had not seen anything about cutting out the forms that go inside the canoe while you are getting everything tightened up and fit together.  Now I know why.  It is crappy work.  They are not fun to cut out. There are tons of measurements that you can mess up,  and in general you are in the mood to work on a Canoe not some forms.  It is necessary so nothing to do but do it.  Realistically these may be the most important part of the build. How would I know?  I think they had better be right or else the canoe won’t be shaped right but I don’t know how exact they have to be to not cause problems. 

 

I took advice from somebody’s blog and cut these with a straight edge and a circular saw using ½ mdf.  I have so far cut 2 and have one left. I completely forgot to take pictures probably because I was not having much fun doing it.  Once I cut the 3 out I will use the outer ones as templates to cut their replicas with a router. That way I won’t have to do all of the measuring again.  I have a hunch that I won’t get to work on the boat again until Friday but we’ll see how things go.

 

Looking at the canoe all strapped together I think I have a lot of trimming to do to get all the seams to fit tightly together.  I don’t know if the forms will make things better or worse but you know what I am hoping for.

 

 

No comments: