Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A new Epoxy technique

I got on the message boards this weekend. Song of the Paddle being the one I frequent most and asked what the heck I was doing wrong with applying my epoxy and darned if the answer was not easy to find.

It was not really rocket science.  After you roll on the epoxy take a brush and smooth it out. That will pop all of the bubbles.

So I tried that with a small area Sunday and it worked perfectly. Then yesterday I went ahead and did the rest of the inside of the boat.

I had a little extra epoxy mixed up so I covered most of the gunwales.  Mahogany with a fresh finish on it. Was there any question whether this was going to look good or not?  Yes it looks fantastic.

 

So what is left.

1) Put some mounting blocks on the Breast hooks so that I can mount them to the boat

2) Sand the 2 Mahogany pieces that are at the end of the breast hooks

3) Round the gunwales at one end of the boat that some how I never did while I was sanding

4) Install the breast Hooks and end pieces

5) Make a cup holder add on to the rear thwart, and shape the whole thing

6) Sand the outside of the Hull one last time

7) Epoxy the Outside of the hull and the breast hooks

8) Varnish everything 2 or 3 times

9) Install the Thwarts and seats

10) Find some Brass Strips to make hooks for the ends of the boat.

 

 

Nothing major to do here but it all takes time and many of these steps require drying time for glue or finish prior to moving to the next step.

So it will still take time but nothing hard left to do

No comments: