Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Breasts and Canoes!

Ok now that I have your attention I can talk about canoe building.

You can see from the pictures here that I am getting really close to finishing.

I sanded the final gunwale last night and it came out really good. The mahogany with the white stripe down the middle looks fantastic. I started to work on the breast hooks after I finished sanding and it ends up that this is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

My technique was to clamp a piece of 1/4” plywood to the top of the boat and then reach inside to scribe a line for where to cut. This all worked well but trying to cut that line perfectly on the bandsaw was not too successful. I had the piece close to perfect but this will be a primary focal point of the boat and I want it perfect. I may try to cut one with the table saw tonight and see if that gives a better result.

On an odd note I tried to buy the webbing for the seats yesterday and the place that advertises the webbing had gone out of business. Now it is back to the drawing board for the webbing. Not too big of a rush I should not need it for at least a week

No comments: