Monday, May 5, 2008

Getting very close

This week was one of those weeks where you do the things that are not necessarily so hard to do but they make the boat look a lot more complete. I made the 2 seats which was quite easy using the tennoning jig here. I am very lucky that I have a mortiser in my shop that a guy let me borrow so doing the mortise and tennons for the seat is quite simple and accurate.

As you saw before I did the yoke and thwart. My wife pointed out that I need to put cup holders on the thwart so I have a little more work to do there.

You can also see that I have now glued on the Outwale on one side. And look how many clamps it took. Every clamp I own is on that boat. If you don’t have 20-30 clamps I would say don’t start building a boat. It takes a lot. It would have been great to have 20 C-Clamps instead of the spring clamps but I made it all work.

I was out of town Saturday so I did not get any work done on the boat but I did get to do much this weekend. I did sand the gunwale on the side that is complete. Make the tiny filler triangles to go in the gap at the nose of the boat (If you look at the picture and visualize where the other outwale will be there is a small triangle of vacant realestate that had to be filled) and then glue on the other outwale.

At this point I need to do the front and back compartments(with cup holders)

Make cupholders for the twart

Cut the seats to length and create a mounting system.

Put the webbing on the seats.

Sand a ton

Epoxy the whole thing

Varnish the whole thing

Maybe 2 weeks.

No comments: