Saturday, March 8, 2008

Taping is going well

It is funny in life some things you think will be really hard and they
end up being easy. Other things you think will be really easy and they
are quite difficult. Canoe building seems to go in that same logic.
All of the things I would have thought were difficult have been easy
so far. The taping is one of them I really thought this would be tough
but it is going nicely. I have now installed 6 of the 10 strips of
fiberglass tape(one goes on the outside) and it has gone very
smoothly. Thankfully a person on one of the forums suggested taping
the fiberglass in place and then putting the epoxy on it and that has
worked quite well. I was able to tape 3 in place and then epoxy all 3
in a row. I am sure that was a better plan than doing a full strip
and then tying to cut the next one with wet epoxy in the boat while my
epoxy hardened etc.

I found that using the top of a rubbermaid bin was a good epoxy pan to
get epoxy on the roller and then when it hardens it comes off of the
lid in 1 clean piece for cleanup. You can also see the 2 inch foam
roller that I have been putting the epoxy on with. I have not needed a
brush at all.

I have been sick lately so progress has stalled but I still am happy
with the progress. Once I get these last 3 strips installed I will
start cutting and scarfing some gunwales and inwales.

No comments: