Monday, March 3, 2008

Finally ready to tape

It turns out that I did a poor job with the epoxy so I had a lot of sanding to do to get ready for adding the tape to the canoe.  I thought I was mixing the epoxy thick enough but that was not the case. It was more like Jelly than Peanut butter so it ran and made a mess.  Remember when you use epoxy the sooner the better on clean up.  Once it hardens it is a bitch to remove. So I worked a couple of nights sanding and have finally smoothed everything out enough to do the taping of the inside seams.  I would think if you were good with the epoxy this could be a 1 hour sanding rather than 4-6.

 

 My big problem is that my thickener really darkened my epoxy and I think that when I put on the tape and cover everything in a layer of plain epoxy it is going to look really bad.  If that is the case I will paint both the inside and out but if it looks ok I will just paint the outside.  I don’t see how some miracle could take place when I put epoxy everywhere and it will suddenly be beautiful so I am really planning on painting at this point.

 

After doing all of the sanding I am quite unimpressed with how well the joints have come out.  I don’t know if drilling my holes closer to the edges of the plywood would have helped top hold the pieces in place better or not. I was concerned that the zip ties would rip through the plywood if the holes were too close to the edge but I think in retrospect they would had held better if they were closer.  Unless I build another boat I will never know.

 

I added some pictures of some sanding disks I tried out for the sanding.  They are metal and I thought that they would last longer.  They were no good for this job at all.  In the end I used the 60 grid disk on a Dewalt Oscillating sander and it worked well.

 

I’ll send more pictures from the taping process



No comments: